Tuesday, 8 September 2026

Bon Jovi - London Review

Following yesterday's piece, which detailed an excellent night with Geoff Tate in Islington on Saturday, it is now time to talk about, arguably, the main event of the weekend just gone. In truth, Geoff Tate is someone I listen to much more, but big stadium shows always feel like main events - and Sunday saw me head over to Wembley Stadium to catch Rock and Roll Hall of Famers and sellers of over 130 million albums: Bon Jovi. I do not remember exactly when I first heard Bon Jovi, but listening to 1986's Slippery When Wet was likely one of my first exposures to 1980s hard rock and metal. Bon Jovi are certainly far from being my favourite band, and I can go for months at a time without hearing a note of their music, but they likely did act as something of a gateway between the classic rock acts I started out enjoying in my early teens and the hair metal I started to consume more in my late teens. Slippery When Wet remains a classic, of course, and the band's discography is pretty flawless up to, and including, 1995's rawer These Days - but I think that it is fair to say that the last 30 years, at least in terms of recorded output, has been quite varied. As someone who has recently listened to every Bon Jovi album, in the lead-up to the weekend's gig, I can confirm that there is a lot of very mediocre and bland material to be found on the 10 albums that have now dropped since These Days. There are a couple of standout albums, particularly 2005's Have a Nice Day and 2007's Lost Highway, but there are plenty of quite forgettable releases - alongside some genuine stinkers like 2020's 2020 (which I reviewed here). The band's most recent release, 2024's Forever (which I also reviewed here), is certainly no Slippery When Wet, but it is no 2020, either, and it is album number 16 that prompted frontman Jon Bon Jovi to rev up the engines on the old touring machine again - and get back out on the road after a few years away. The main reason for this break from touring was that Bon Jovi underwent surgery on his vocal chords in 2022 - and needed time to recover. His deteriorating voice has been something discussed in rock circles for many years at this point, but I think things reached breaking point on the last Bon Jovi tour earlier that same year. I remember that some of the reviews of those shows, the band's first since 2019, were particularly scathing - and I think Bon Jovi knew that he was really struggling by that point. The surgery fixed years of damage to his vocal chords - and two years after their last album it was time to get the band back out there for something of a controlled 'tour', which included numerous nights at Madison Square Garden in New York City and a few dates in the UK. This short tour ended in London, with three nights at Wembley Stadium. Before this past weekend, I had seen Bon Jovi live once - back in 2019, also at Wembley Stadium. I initially was not keen to go again, given I had been pleasantly surprised with the band and Bon Jovi's voice last time and wanted to keep those memories safe, but after I saw how relatively reasonable the ticket prices were I decided to go and see them again. It ended up working out well, with Geoff Tate then being added to the weekend later on, and I had a great overall time in London - even if, sadly, I was staying in different hotels over the course of the weekend to save money. The day of the Bon Jovi gig, I had a bit of a lie in and then some lunch in Walthamstow - before heading over to the East End. I had some time in and around Brick Lane record shopping, before checking into my hotel just set back from Whitechapel High Street. There was a bit of time to kick back before heading out to Wembley, taking my seat in the massive stadium, and waiting for the action to start.

There was one support act, with the swelling Wembley Stadium soon treated to around 45 minutes of music by the British singer-songwriter James Bay. I had heard of Bay, of course, since he is quite a big name, but I did not really know anything about his music. I had expected not really to enjoy his set, but I went in with an open mind - and ended up enjoying it more than I expected to. Some of his songs were a bit bland, exhibiting that quite earnest, downbeat singer-songwriter vibe I had expected - but there were other songs which felt quite upbeat, and there was a slight southern rock, bluesy groove to some of his material. He never truly rocked out, but there was some energy to some of his songs - and he exhibited some pretty good guitar playing during some numbers, too, including some pretty fiery guitar solos. One thing that I have sometimes noticed about support acts at stadium shows is how anonymous they can often be. A lot of people just do not care that a support act is on at gigs like this, and the support act falls flat as a result. The Pretty Reckless did not allow that to happen when I saw them open for AC/DC at Wembley Stadium two years ago and, despite bringing a different vibe, Bay did not either. He came across very well, spoke to the crowd a lot, and seemed to bring people along with him. Of course, he is no unknown - and there were audible cheers when he introduced some of the songs he was going to play. Clearly, then, there were fans of his in attendance, and enough to generate something of an atmosphere. As such, it was quite easy to get drawn into what Bay was doing - and I enjoyed much of his set from my seat way up in the upper tier of the stadium. The final song that he played even generated quite a decent sing-a-long with a crowd that was pretty huge by that point - and I certainly came away from the set with more appreciation for Bay than I expected. His set felt like a true part of the show, in a way that support acts do not always, and it got me in the mood for what was to follow.

Stadium shows always kick off early, and it was only just after 7:15pm that the screens flanking the stage flickered into life - and soon the current seven members of Bon Jovi entered via door at the back of the stage, taking their places to launch to a version of With a Little Help from My Friends. Given the song's lyrics, and Bon Jovi's long-standing vocal issues - this opening felt like him both having a little joke at his own expense and reaching out to the audience. Would they still be with him after his surgery and recovery - and the answer was yes. I was pleasantly surprised by him in 2019, and I felt similar again this time - even if I felt he sounded stronger in 2019. He is only 64, though, which compared to some of his peers is young. It is strange how many of the singers of the 1980s have fared worse than those of the 1970s in terms of vocal longevity - and I have seen much older singers sound closer to their heyday than Bon Jovi, including his own idol Bruce Springsteen. This is not meant to be a dig, just an observation - but his compromised voice did not stop him and the band delivering a high-energy set that lasted for over two and a half hours. Setlist-wise, the 22 songs played was largely a greatest hits affair - but newer numbers and deeper cuts were included. It was different enough from the 2019 show to make it worth the effort - and it actually took until song five, You Give Love a Bad Name, for a bona fide hit to be wheeled out. The smooth Beautiful Drug and a lengthy crowd workout version of We Weren't Born to Follow filled the early portion of the set - but You Give Love a Bad Name had everyone on their feet, with producer John Shanks (guitar/vocals) on lead guitar duties. Phil X (guitar/vocals) handled most of the leads, but Shanks chipped in on occasion - and the band overall were tight and professional, even if the vagabond energy of Richie Sambora is missed. Only one song from Forever was played, with lead single Legendary being a surprise highlight. Bay joined the band for it, duetting with Bon Jovi, whilst the country strains of Whole Lot of Leavin' saw Bon Jovi strumming his acoustic guitar as the band swirled around him. He took a few opportunities to talk to the crowd, showcasing that much of that showmanship and charisma remains, but there was refreshingly little mucking about - with the music largely doing the talking. Particular mid-set highlights for me were the riffy Have a Nice Day, which had not been played at the other UK shows, and the epic These Days - which included some great soloing from X. It is always a good sign when the night is flying by - and it was not long before It's My Life and Livin' on a Prayer were wheeled out back-to-back, although this was perhaps not wise as it made it obvious that they are basically just the same song. This felt like the beginning of the home straight, with proper anthems like Raise Your Hands and I'll Sleep When I'm Dead keeping the energy levels high. I have seen complaints about the sound at the show, but from where I was sitting everything sounded fine - and the mix was quite clear in my view. David Bryan's (keyboards/vocals) playing was generally audible, and his barroom piano drove I'll Sleep When I'm Dead - whilst another somewhat deeper cut in the form of Hey God was a powerful late set inclusion. Hugh McDonald's (bass guitar/vocals) bassline then introduced set-closer Keep the Faith, with the funky number a powerful ending statement. Following a couple of minutes away, though, the band returned for a four-song encore. I'll Be There for You has never been a personal favourite, but I am sure that many loved hearing it - but Wanted Dead or Alive really did hit the spot, with X nailing the southern rock vibes during the solo. Bad Medicine then turned into a band showcase, with percussionist Everett Bradley sharing the vocals with Bon Jovi and Bryan unleashing a lengthy organ solo late on. This would have been a fine closer, but Tico Torres' (drums) big fill heralded the smouldering Always to wrap up what had been an excellent night. The setlist was:

With a Little Help from My Friends [The Beatles cover]
Beautiful Drug
We Weren't Born to Follow
Lost Highway
You Give Love a Bad Name
Born to Be My Baby
Legendary [w/ James Bay]
Whole Lot of Leavin'
Bed of Roses
Have a Nice Day
These Days
This House Is Not for Sale
It's My Life
Livin' on a Prayer
Raise Your Hands
I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
Hey God
Keep the Faith
-
I'll Be There for You
Wanted Dead or Alive
Bad Medicine
Always

I may not hold Bon Jovi in as high regard as others do, and I am not sure that they have genuinely wanted to be a proper rock band for many years at this point, but Sunday night in Wembley was a reminder of why they are such a legendary act. Even this fairly casual fan had a great time for the second time in the band's company - and it is hard to know whether there will be many more opportunities to see them live. I am sure that Bon Jovi wants to carry on, but his voice will not hold out forever - and despite statements to the contrary this short tour did have something of a farewell feel to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bon Jovi - London Review